Taling Pling started off in Pan Road, Silom, but has expanded to a chain, including a rather posh branch at Siam Paragon. This other outlet in in Central World - if you do lunch here on weedays, come before 12 noon, else the place will be brimming with office workers. Our lunch today:
- Khao Tang Na Tang (rice crackers with pork-peanut-coconut crème dip): very good rendition - the rice crackers were crisp and fragrant, and the dip wasn't overwhelmed with coconut crème like in many places.
- Puff-ball mushrooms with acacia and wild betel leaves: very unusual dish and tasted like it's of Southern Thai origin - spicy and sourish from addition of tamarind.
- Tom Kha Kai (chicken & straw mushrooms in galangal, lemongrass & coconut crème soup): very tasty - again, the chefs here have a lighter had in enriching the soup with thin coconut milk. Perfectly balanced.
- Stir-fried 'sator' with prawns, minced pork and chillis. Another Southern Thai-inflected dish - I'm a big 'sator' fan, and you certainly get a generous amount on this dish.
- Black glutinous rice, rice crisps, taro and 'lod chong' (cendol) dessert - superb!
- Cha Yen (Thai iced milk tea)
4, 4 / 1-2, Central World
Rajdamri Road, Pathumwan
Tel: +66 2 613 1360