Squirrels are scarier than ever.
Sadly, that time may be returning. The Trentonian reports that New Jersey officials are warning residents in the Ringwood area not to consume too many squirrels after a lead-contaminated bushy-tailed critter was found.
A letter sent Tuesday to Ringwood residents advised them that children should not eat squirrel more than once a month, pregnant women should limit their intake to twice a month, and adults should not eat squirrel more than twice a week.
The area is home to the Ramapough Mountain Indian Tribe, who often hunt, fish, and forage for their food, as well as a toxic-waste dump that has been on the list of Superfund sites for years.
Even small amounts of ingested lead can create a host of problems, including nervous-system damage and problems with brain development in children.
Maybe the government should clean up that site so that mesquite squirrel can come back to the northern New Jersey table.