With the big game coming up, dips and wings are getting all the buzz where snacks are concerned, but don’t discount a good party mix to be the life of the, well, buffet table. This Crock-Pot party mix recipe is easy to make, and an absolute crowd-pleaser. Snack Shangri-La, if you will.
You may feel the need to adjust the ratios of crackers and nuts called for (maybe you’ll even toy with the notion of tossing in some pretzels), but this specific mix of oyster crackers, rice cereal squares, cheese crackers, and salted almonds is time-tested and Chowhound-approved.
With soy sauce, liquid smoke, hot paprika, and butter along for the party, it’s the perfect blend of savory, salty, smoky, and a little piquant.
If you need to swap out any of the crackers for gluten-free equivalents, don’t forget to also ditch the soy for liquid aminos.
Dump everything in your slow cooker and turn it on low, then walk away—but not for the full three to four hours of cook time, because we do recommend stirring the mixture every 30 minutes to ensure it dries out evenly (and not too much) and the bottom doesn’t start to burn. So no, it’s not quite hands-off, but that’s not asking too much, is it?
One other thing: Unlike most slow cooker recipes, you don’t want to use the lid for this one, as the condensation would make it turn to mush. Leave the lid off so the mix crisps up.
When it’s ready, transfer it to a big bowl and give it pride of place on your coffee table.
Crock-Pot Cook N Carry 6-Quart Slow Cooker, $29.69 on Amazon
No frills needed.
Related Reading: 9 Slow Cooker Cookbooks You Need Right Now
What You Need to Make Slow Cooker Party Mix
Makes approximately 10 cups
- 2 cups oyster crackers
- 3 cups rice cereal squares
- 3 cups cheese cracker squares
- 2 cups salted almonds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
How to Make Slow Cooker Party Mix
1. Place the oyster crackers, cereal squares, cheese crackers, and almonds in a large slow cooker and turn the cooker to low heat.
2. In a large bowl mix together the soy sauce, liquid smoke, paprika, and butter and pour it over the crackers in the slow cooker. Mix well to combine.
3. Cook for about 3 to 4 hours uncovered. Stir with a rubber spatula every 30 minutes or so, until the mix has dried but has not burned.
That’s it. Now it’s crunch time!
Photos and styling by Chris Rochelle.