- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- 40 medium uncooked shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, plus extra limes for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pico de Gallo, for serving (optional)
- Guacamole, for serving (optional)
1Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the onion and garlic, season with salt, and cook until translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
2Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from heat, add the tequila, and scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate any browned bits. Return the pan to heat. (If you want, carefully tilt the pan to ignite the tequila.) Simmer until the alcohol smell has cooked off and the shrimp are fully cooked, about 3 minutes.
3Remove from heat, stir in the lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Taste, adjust the seasoning as necessary, and serve with extra lime wedges, pico de gallo, and guacamole as desired.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved