Smoky Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad
Adapted from Rachael Ray
For this chill, summery salad adapted from Rachael Ray, ripe plum tomatoes, red onions, and cucumbers combine in an elegantly simple vinaigrette with a touch of smoky paprika. Buy the ripest, peak-season tomatoes you can find. Bring it to your next picnic or potluck with another light dish such as our salmon salad recipe.
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 medium ripe, firm plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 small unwaxed Persian cucumber (or 1/2 an English cucumber), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1Combine the vinegar, smoked paprika, a big pinch of kosher salt, black pepper, and olive oil in a screw-top jar. Shake vigorously, then taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary with additional salt and black pepper. (Alternately, in a small bowl, whisk together the the vinegar, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.) Set aside.
2In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, and cucumber. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
3Let stand at room temperature for the flavors to combine, about 20 minutes. Re-toss just before serving.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved