-6 large or 8 small short ribs, large fat areas or thick fat covering removed and discarded (leave some fat)
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1 green bell (‶mango″) pepper, cleaned, cut up in quarters, and then sliced thin with food processor or by hand
-2 large carrots, peeled, cut up in quarters, and then sliced thin with food processor or by hand
-1 small bunch green scallion onions, cleaned and hair-like roots cut off, chopped by hand or sliced in processor
-1 small to medium turnip, peeled and diced
-½ bunch celery stalks, cut up in quarters, and then sliced thin with food processor or by hand
-1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
-½ to 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
-¼ cup tomato paste or more to taste
-1 large peeled chopped clove of garlic
-¼ tsp. fine chopped bay leave
-½ tsp. Italian seasoning spice blend or chervil or similar spice
-½ tsp. ‶savory″ spice blend
-6 cups water (add more later as needed to achieve desired consistency)
-Warmed or toasted rolls, bread, and butter
-(Optional) 1 or 2 small to medium potatoes, peeled and diced
11. Place all ingredients except ribs (except optional diced potatoes, if desired) in large soup pot and start cooking on low or “simmer”, covered.
2. Meanwhile, brown ribs well on all sides in olive oil in cast iron or other pot, remove, shake off fat, and add to soup pot, “as is”, burying them in the soup ingredients.
3. Cover pot and continue cooking at “simmer” about 2 hours or so.
4. Remove ribs, de-fat, de-gristle and de-bone, discard these items, cut up remaining lean meat and return to pot. Add optional diced potatoes if desired.
5. Cook another ½ hour or so uncovered, skim fat as needed, and add water as needed for consistency.
6. Season further to taste, if needed, with any of the above seasonings and/or more diced tomatoes or paste.
7. Serve with warm or toasted rolls, bread and butter, or garlic bread for accompaniment or dipping.