Shaved Carrot Salad
This carrot salad has a little bit of a Moroccan influence and a tad of Middle Eastern. This shaved medley spiced with harissa, cumin, and caraway is brightened by mint, parsley, and lemon with all sorts of textures and colors. This salad could steal the wow factor from your meal’s protein. It’s that good.
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon harissa, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and shaved
- 2 tablespoons flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3.5 ounces feta, crumbled or chopped into bits
1In a spice grinder or mortar, grind caraway seeds and cumin seeds together.
2In a small sauté pan, heat oil and cook the garlic, caraway, cumin, paprika, harissa, and sugar in the oil until fragrant, about one to two minutes.
3Turn off the heat, and add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Remove from heat and let cool for a 2 to 3 minutes.
4Pour the saucy dressing over the carrots and mix. Add the herbs and mix.
5Leave the salad alone to infuse for an hour in the refrigerator and add the feta just before serving.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved