Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
For the frosting:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Make the cakes:
1Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
2In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, and pumpkin purée. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Quickly spoon heaping tablespoons of batter onto prepared trays, spacing them 2 inches apart (about 16 per tray).
3Bake until the cakes spring back when touched and don’t leave a fingerprint, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely, about 2 hours.
Make the frosting and assemble:
1Mix together 4 tablespoons of butter, the cream cheese, and powdered sugar with a mixer on high speed until very fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
2Spoon or spread a large dollop of filling mixture onto the flat side of half the cakes and then press together with another cake to make a sandwich.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved