Mashed Potato Cakes
CHOW Food Team
When caught with a surplus of Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes during holiday recipe testing, or scooped potatoes from loaded potato skins, easily create these satisfying potato cakes. With their crispy exterior and creamy, cheesy center, there’s not much to dislike here. We recommend topping these with a poached egg.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (see recipe intro), chilled or at room temperature
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces), shredded on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only, about 1/4 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
1Place all of the ingredients except the oil and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine; set aside. Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside.
2Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Drop 3 to 4 (1/3-cup) dollops of the potato-cheese mixture into the pan and spread each into a 3-inch patty. Cook undisturbed until the bottoms are golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Gently flip the cakes and cook until golden brown on the second side, about 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved