Just like Saturday pizza night, focaccia pizza is laid-back and casual—no need to stress about the straightforward yeast dough (follow our recipe here), or even roll it out (it’s stretched by hand to fit a rectangular baking sheet). The topping possibilities are pretty much endless. Here, we’ve used canned crushed tomatoes, shredded mozzarella, marinated artichoke hearts, cooked Italian sausage, and black olives.
- 1 recipe Focaccia dough
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzanos, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- 12 ounces cooked and crumbled Italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 1 (14-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced, pitted black olives such as kalamatas
1Prepare the focaccia dough through step 3 in our recipe, pressed into the pan and allowed to rise for 1 hour.
2Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the crushed tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
3Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. When the dough is ready, dimple the surface with your fingertips, then brush with olive oil (gently, so you don’t accidentally tear the surface with the brush). Spread 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture over the dough (reserve the remainder for another use, like tossing with pasta) and sprinkle with the cheese. Spread the sausage, artichoke hearts, and olives evenly over the cheese.
4Bake until the crust is golden, about 15 to 18 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved