Five-Spice Hot Chocolate
Apple Pie Spice
Chinese Five-Spice Powder
- 2 tablespoons ground star anise
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons crushed cassia
- 2 teaspoons crushed Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Highly aromatic Chinese five-spice powder enhances stir-fried vegetables, chicken, and especially fatty meats like pork and duck. Five-spice powder isn’t hot but is quite concentrated, so use it in small quantities. (Heat-treated Szechuan pepper may now be legally imported to the United States.)
1Combine ground star anise, ground fennel seeds, crushed cassia, crushed Szechuan peppercorns, and ground cloves.
Recommended from Chowhound
Back to top
Every kitchen has some rules. Mine doesn't have too many but I admit to being a stickler for a few...