½ medium red and yellow bell pepper
¼ cup of cilantro, mint and basil leaves
1 small carrot, peeled and trimmed
or shrimp as an alternative
8 rice paper wrappers (small size)
¼ Mexican or Hawaiian papaya
6 oz store purchased baked tofu
1 cup Vic Cherikoff DownUnder
Barrier Reef Lemon, Lime and Chili Sauce
11. Julienne all vegetables finely, cut papaya & tofu into ¼ inch thick sticks.
12. Pick herbs off stems, wash.
23. Toss vegetable batons, fruit, tofu and herbs together so they are well mixed.
34. Fill metal mix bowl with warm water (just beyond tepid). Top with warm water as needed to maintain temperature. Wrap your work area with a sheet of plastic wrap.
45. Dip one rice paper at a time (about 15 sec - onds ea.) and lay on plastic wrap. Place about ¼ cup of the fruit/vegetable mix on the bottom third of the rice paper. Fold up the bottom to enclose the vegetables, then fold over the sides and roll until it is completely wrapped. Store on clean plate. Repeat process.
56. Cut on bias in half to showcase the fresh vegetables. Pile on a chilled platter and serve with a small bowl of Vic Cherikoff DownUnder Barrier Reef Lemon, Lime and Chili Sauce for dipping.
A simple and supremely satisfying dessert, rice pudding is pure comfort in a bowl. It's easy to get there too! Just simmer white rice with whole milk, sugar, and a pinch of salt until the grains are tender, plump, and creamy, then stir in a little vanilla or almond extract while the pudding's still warm. Top however you like (fresh berries in season, dried fruit, toasted nuts for a crunchy contrast, a sprinkle of cinnamon)—you really can't go wrong. Read more.
Paper Bag Popcorn
Learn to make popcorn in a brown paper bag. This technique is simple, reliable, and delicious! Read more.
DIY Puffy Rice Snacks
Crispy, puffed rice is actually a type of culinary foam, but it doesn't take a lot of fancy equipment to make. In this episode of MDRN KTCHN, host Scott Heimendinger shows you how to make puffed rice snacks at home using only a microwave and some frying oil. Want to learn more? Come back every Sunday for a new episode of MDRN KTCHN, and check out Modernist Cuisine's new cookbook, Modernist Cuisine at Home!
Basic Steamed White Rice
Steamed white rice is so simple it's actually rather easy to mess up. Ever have it burn on the bottom, or had the grains go crunch between your teeth? This recipe will give you perfect, fluffy, tender rice every time, to go with all your stir fries, curries, and main-dish proteins. Read more.