Wine 3

Is this wine safe to taste?

AndyP | May 17, 2008 06:37 PM

Hey all,

I rent a room in an old farmhouse in Portland, OR. Down in the basement is a pantry. And in the pantry are the artifacts of my landlady's old winemaking hobby. One of these artifacts is a 20 gallon glass jug, (car boy?) filled with a cloudy purple liquid. The jug is corked with a cork/hydrometer gizmo. The liquid in the jug comes about 1/3 of the way up the hydrometer. There is evidence of some evaporation, maybe about 2-3 inches.

Speaking with Pam, she figures it has been down there for about 25 years, made from grapes, (she doesn't remember the variety) that her father-in-law grew here in the Willamette valley. I uncorked it, and damned if it doesn't have the aroma of port.

So, I'm wondering, from a health viewpoint, is this wine safe to taste? Any dangerous microbes swimming around in it?


Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound