A group of us will be in Portland in Mid-April, arriving by train and staying onboard our chartered train while it is parked in the station for two days (Sunday and Monday) We're looking for a range of places we can either walk to easily, or hop on the MAX/streetcar and get to. Lots of different palates in the group -- some exotic, some pretty mainstream. The demographic is middle-aged, but not fuddy-duddy, well-travelled and open for adventure. Some folks will want to go in search of meals together and some will wander off on their own. What would you suggest for places that wouldn't require reservations and would represent a range of prices and ambience? For instance:
- is there a good breakfast "joint" nearby?
- is there a not-obnoxiously-hipster cafe that is a good spot to hang out, drink good coffee and have a pastry?
- is there a hidden gem in Chinatown?
- is there a late night bar that also serves munchies, decent beer and wine and is not too loud for conversation?
- is there a place where a solo diner can get an interesting and affordable meal and a glass of wine at the bar?
- of the overwhelming food cart options available, is there a pod near the station that has some great offerings?
Thanks so much!!!