Hello Fellow Chowhounders,
My friend and I are planning a short trip to VT from NYC this weekend to (hopefully) catch the last days of foliage. I searched this board and got some really great info.
Would you please have a look at my tentative itinerary and tell me if I missed any important food places/towns or if there is any place we should skip for this two-day visit:
1. Manchester - Skyline drive, Up for Breakfast
2. Weston - Vermont Country Store, Podunk
3. Ludlow - Inn at Waters Edge (there is a must-see VT pub?), Green Mountain Sugar Co.
4. Woodstock - Pylmouth Cheese Factory, Waterstock Buffalo Cheese Factory, Mill at Quechee Rest, hiking by the waterfalls
5. Middlebury - Otter Creek Brewery, Natural Food Co-op (possibly having dinner in this town)
6. Burlington - We are spending the night here.
The Northern Lights cruise, Ben&Jerry's (my friend is so into this), Magic Hat Brewing Co., Cheese Outlet, Cheese Traders, Church Str., Mt Mansfield for hiking
7. Mad River Valley / Waitsfield / Warren
I would prefer to go to places with a "real Vermont" feeling. I heard that The Starry Cafe is amazing, and I should eat Maple Creeme and Cider Donut.
And of course I will try to find Lazy Lady Goat Cheese, Jasper Farm Blue Cheese, Vermont Coulpole by VT Butter & Cheese Co., Woodchuck and Original Sin cider, Lake Champlain chocolates. So I have some shopping to do.
What am I missing here? I would love to hear your opinions.
Thanks so much for all your help!