8 SuggestionsExpand Map
We spent 4 days in Tokyo in January 2015 and the food blew us away. I've been doing some research of course, but wanted to check in to see consensus has changed on any of the places we loved 2 years ago and if there's anything new that is must-try. We're staying very close to Ebisu station but are happy to travel. (Note: We're skipping upper-echelon dining this trip around.)
Things we loved last trip and want to return to (or replace with better):
- FUUNJI (Will be hard pressed not to go back! We've been talking about these noodles for 2 years.)
- BUTAGUMI (We liked it enough to go twice during our trip, but I did see a heated debate about Butagumi on this board from August 2016. Should we try something different this time? We're definitely open. Note: we also had Maisen from a department store which was exactly what it sounded like... premade takeout katsu - not that I'm judging Maisen for it.)
- KOKEKOKKO (Another one we hit twice! Loved it but definitely open to other places since there didn't seem to be specifically unique about this place that made us love it.)
- FUGLEN (Not exactly a traditional Japanese bar, but we really enjoyed the cocktails and vibe. What are other favorite cocktail spots?)
Things we didn't get to last trip - are they still worth checking out?
- BINCHO for hitsumabushi
- KAORIYA for soba (Tamawarai also sounds delicious, but how hard will it be for us to have a meal there as non-Japanese?)
- OUCA for ice cream
- BIRDLAND for yakitori
- A tempura specialist! Would definitely like to find one to go to this time.
- Another ramen place, currently considering KAGARI, MUTEPPO, KIKANBO, or GOGYO.
For reference, places we will not be returning to - for the most part we enjoyed them but didn't make our faves list.
- ROKURINSHA (Good but a disappointment after Fuunji!)
by Chowhound Editors | Update, July 17: Amazon's Prime Day sale has officially ended. Some of the deals below are still live...
by Joey Skladany | Prime Day, Amazon's version of Black Friday, has officially arrived and the number of sales is more...
by Grace Gonzalez | Macy’s is the newest retailer to begin offering crazy summer discounts, introducing its new promotion...
by David Watsky | The sous vide method hit the mainstream a few years ago but if you haven't had a chance to try out...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.