I'm a big fan of afternoon teas and have been lucky enough to enjoy them in many places. I have given opinions about others in town in other threads and have usually stated that the Ritz Carlton, the St. Regis, and the Mandarin Oriental are the best.
I went back to the St. Regis today. It is clearly behind the Ritz-Carlton on Central Park South and MO.
1. The wait for a reserved table was too long. They needed more help upfront.
2. The waiter had to ask who ordered which tea and then proceeded to give us the wrong teas anyway.
3. The sandwiches were far below par (and I mean far). This is the biggest of all of the problem areas. The Ritz and Mandarin simply blow the St Regis away in this very important category.
4. The ambiance has gone downhill. It was too loud and too crowded...it just wasnt as elegant as it could be.
1. The scones and the petit fours were very good.
2. Despite a few mistakes, the servers tried very hard.