My birthday is coming up soon and I want to try a tasting menu with wine pairings for the first time. I've read through old posts and have started to narrow down the field. Bouley, Babbo and Fleur de Sel look interesting. What are your opinions of these places? Do you have other suggestions? Please help me. I want the restaurant to fall under the following guide lines.
- $150 or less per person (including wine)
- food: french, italian, new american (nothing too exotic for our first time)
- would like a cheese course
- good wine (more reds than whites)
- no more than one or two fish courses (I don't really like fish but will eat shell fish and some sushi)
- special/nice ambiance without being too stuffy (boyfriend and I are 23)
- don't mind dressing up
- location doesn't matter
- want to walk out on air, wondering why hadn't done a tasting menu sooner
- Is the waiter different than the "wine-pourer?" Do we tip seperately?
- What is the proper eating and drinking method for a tasting menu? Should I have a sip of wine after each bite to get the blended taste?