I had posted here for recs and then didn't think I'd make the SoCal trip. But ended up doing it last minute and aSugarfish was the only place open at 11:30 such that I could eat and catch my plane. For $50, lunch was perfectly fine but not outstanding:
- hamachi - good, not great
- scallops - way over sauced
- SB uni - good but far from the best I've had. Sweet but had the faintest off taste
- unagi - really good but small bite
- toro hand roll - too subtle for my taste and the toro practically gets lost in roll
- glue crab roll - I thought this was delicious. Just enough flavor to stand out from the crisp nori and warm rice but not overwhelming
- ikura - oh wow, this was good. The membrane on each egg had a freshness / crispness I've never experienced and you could taste the light brininess in each bite. I'm generally disappointed by ikura but this was fantastic.
Rice - a bit too al dente for my taste
Fish - quality cuts but a few were served way too cold. And with the warm rice, was very noticeable
In SF, this would be good to very good quality sushi but in SoCal, felt like it was ok versus some of the places I've been, albeit much higher pricepoints this is clearly sushi geared for the masses and in that respect, they do a nice job and wish we had it up north.