I have to take a family out for a thank you dinner, and I thought that Speducci Mercatto at 46 Milford Avenue might be fun, but I have a few questions for those who have been there.
1) Judging by the photos in the Events, the space(s?) for eating seem a bit sterile. I was hoping, from what little I know of the place, for something a little less formal, more spatially open. Am I incorrect? There is seating in the 'market area' - has anyone used that? Noise? Comfort? Traffic?
2) Wine is available, but there is no list - or mention - on the website. How good is it? I don't need it to be huge, elite, or obscure. A short list so long as it's well chosen would be fine. (Yelp and tripadvisor were of no use on this question, except for two comments that wine and beer were available, but no detail beyond that.)
3) What is the cut of the t-bone? Is it North American, or more like a fiorentina?
4) Unfortunately, the online menu doesn't list any prices for the grilled beef, only market price. This always raises the question, "Fine - which market?"
5) I was thinking of doing this family style if possible. Will they do that? If the t-bone is a fiorentina get that (plus something else if it's a North American cut), a couple contorni, a couple paste, a salumi and cheese board, and dessert. Does that sound adequate for three adults and two boys (10 and 12) with adventurous appetites?
I did notice the frequency on Yelp with which the description "hidden gem" was cropping up - so much so that I couldn't help wondering whether there was some astro turfing going on.
Invite a friend to chime in on this discussion.Email a Friend
by Abby Wolfe | Eating healthy can be pretty overwhelming—so daunting, in fact, that you decide to ditch the whole...
by Joey Skladany | If you are not among the many who have vowed to renounce carbs, you're in good company. And you're...
by Amy Schulman | Valentine’s Day is replete with plenty of bouquets of roses and heart-shaped boxes filled with truffles...