I have a few favorite places for special and somewhat romantic dinners, which include Le Gigot, Il Cantinori, Cafe Des Artistes (which I never see mentioned here) to name a few........ but this one, for Feb 17th, needs to be the ultimate in special places.
Here's the criteria I'm hoping to meet:
- Location: Anywhere below 70th St (E or W) is okay with me, but I prefer downtown (Village, TriBeCa... SoHo..)
- Noise level: Quiet, so we can talk, but I don't want to feel alone in the place.
- Cuisine: Preferably Italian, French, adventurous American... and/or combos. No Fish as main dishes, no steakhouses. But the food is important, therefore must be very good to excellent.
- Cost: I don't mind spending up to $200, without tip and drinks, for two people, but less is nice if the food is worth it.
- Wine List: A good one I suppose, but we are not really wine drinkers with knowledge of wines. Moderately priced would be nice, if there is such a thing, but a wine knowledgeable wait staff is a MUST, because neither of us can choose to save our lives and we'll want wine.
- The Room: Dimly lit, but not VERY dark, and a decent amount of space between tables.
Attire: Jackets are okay.
Wait staff: Not the type to be all over us -- and no one pushing water.
Portions: Decent in size, since I'm dining with someone with a big (but not huge) appetite.
Sadly, I have never been to Gramercy Tavern. I'd imagine it's noisy and for some reason picture it brightly lit. Am I wrong........ would it fit my criteria?
How's the newly opened Jo-Jo's?
I shall stop guessing now and await your highly value suggestions.
(Hope I offered enough specifics.)