Gardening

Safely Harvesting Rhubarb [Split from Home Cooking]

Share:

Gardening 3

Safely Harvesting Rhubarb [Split from Home Cooking]

Gio | May 7, 2009 03:28 PM

Just thought I'd mention here although it's a gardening concern too... If the Mods move it, so be it:
Folks are mentioning the toxicity of the leaves and that's something to be very careful of. The toxin is Oxalic Acid. . The plant is also poisonous to animals.
If you do plant them in the garden, do not cut the stalks off with a knife.... but rather Gently pull and twist at the point where the stalk meets the bottom of the plant. Snip off the leaf and dispose of it. Some people don't even compost it, but in a good hot compost heap the toxins are decomposed and harmless.
If stalks of seedheads appear just cut them a few inches from the bottom because if allowed to grow and flower they will diminish the quality of the stalks you want to eat.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound