My boyfriend and I split time between Berlin and New York. I would consider myself a health-conscious foodie, with no particular love of French cuisine. In general I typically avoid really heavy food.
We are 27 & 30 going to Paris for a week to celebrate my birthday. He lived there years ago for a short period; it's my first trip. We'll be staying at an apartment in the Marais.
Would love recommendations that consider the following:
- One splurge dinner for my birthday. Are there any respectable restaurants that have a lively bar scene or have late night dancing? We want something fun, special but not overly formal.
- We both appreciate a good scene, but refuse to eat at trendy restaurants that serve mediocre, high-priced food. That being said, we generally don't prefer over formal service and ambiance. For a New York reference, we prefer downtown vs. up
- We love great wine, and affordable great wine is even better.
- I see a lot of French bistro recommendations, naturally. Any places that have an interesting take on traditional French fare?
- We love sushi, and Berlin lacks many decent options. Any favorite, affordable Japanese spots in Paris?
- Lastly, we really enjoy champagne brunches.
Thanks for any advice!