I am taking my wife to the Sonoma County/San Francisco area for our 20-year wedding anniversary, and I am hoping to find restaurant in San Francisco that meets the following criteria:
1. Ambience - A place where we can enjoy a romantic/quiet/focus-on-us meal. The opposite of "family dining," which is where we most often find ourselves (with a couple teenagers and a young child). A great view would be a major plus, especially if it is something very distinctive to San Fran (e.g., the bay, the skyline, etc.). It does not have to be the local 5-star, and I definitely do not want the tourist trap "popular restaurant." I want the SF insider's go-to place for a romantic meal.
2. Great Service - I do not want the stuffy, feels-like-people-are-hovering type, but a place that is okay with us making a special evening out of the meal ... relaxed pace, no one trying to turn the table. This is going to be on a Sunday night, so perhaps that helps with the "pace" of the meal and quality of service.
3. "Custom" Evening - I have pulled this off once before (10-year anniversary), but I would like to try it again. I would like to pick a restaurant where I can contact them in advance and plan the entire menu, from drinks/appetizers to deserts, so we will have no need for menus when we get there.
4. Food - She loves lobster/crab bisque, shrimp/crab, seafood in general, but also enjoys a great steak. She loves a GREAT pina colada and/or strawberry/mango margarita, or a cosmo, over any wine choice. She loves creme brulee, but also decadent chocolate desserts. She is not a big fan of hot spicy or "fringe" cuisines ...
5. Location - We are going to spend a couple days in Sonoma County, but the weekend in San Fran proper. I plan to spend our weekend, exploring various neighorhoods in and around the city, and we will be staying downtown. I will likely pick the hotel based upon the restaurant, rather than the other way around!
Thanks so much for any and all suggestions!!