Seems like only a handful of us post about anything other than Philly and it's burbs, but I'm betting there are lurkers or visitors who are interested. As a life-long resident, here's my current favs. Please offer your thoughts and add to the list!
1) Alebrije - fantastic and cheap mexican food. Wonderful service. Try enchiladas verdes, Burrito de la roqueta, or chilaquiles Mexicanos. Chiles en Nogada is a fantastic fall festival special.
2) Speckled Hen - also affordable English Tavern food. Wonderful and rare beers on tap, Scotch Egg app, homeade bangers and mash, and bread pudding. http://www.speckledhenpub.com/
3) Panda Heaven - can't speak for their sushi, but the hibachi is lots of fun and the menu is huge. Try the orange beef or crispy fried whole sea bass.
4) Muddbugs Cafe & Bakery - best thing to happen in Reading since Speckled Hen opened. Also a huge menu divided into regions - Southern, KC, New Orleans, Four Corners. They have some of the best mashed taters ever, fantastic side dishes, and baked goods.
5) Talarico's Sandwich Shop - Boyertown. Quite simply, the best cheesesteaks in Berks. The use fresh meat and Conshohocken rolls. Nuff said.
Judy's On Cherry
Jumbo China Buffet (can't resist)
5th Street Diner (good soup)
Franks Pizza (best joint in the area)
Nuse's Deli, Morgantown (cheesesteaks and subs)
Popular but please avoid!
V&S sandwich shop
Canal Street Pub (I just don't get it)
Exeter Family Restaurant (ick)
Windmill, Morgantown (you don't want to know!)