Quick report from my trip this weekend. I was only in Portland from 2 pm Thursday to noon Friday, and about an hour on Monday, so I apologize for not hitting too many spots. LOL
1. Fishermen's Grill: Two of my compadres said the lob roll had too much mayo, but I loved it. Fried clams and seafood chowder both home runs.
2. Eventide: Just got apps -- rolls and oysters. Excellent.
3. Fore Street: The consensus among my friends (there were 8 of us) was that FS is coasting. Several of us got the smoked and chilled seafood tasting platter and the comments ranged from poor to pretty good. That's not good enough for FS.
4. Gelato Fiasco: Excellent of course.
5. 158 Pickett Street Cafe: Love this place. smoked salmon on everything bagel with capers, cucumber, and red onion is my go-to.
6. Scratch: My first visit to Scratch. Tried several things, all good. The winner was the almond horseshoe.
7. Bite Into Maine food truck at Ft Williams Park: Tried the "picnic style" lob roll. It's good, but I wouldn't drive too far out of my way. Scenery is great.
8. Lobster Shack at Two Lights, Cape Elizabeth: Similar experience. Nice, tidy roll, great scenery. But that blob of mayo on top of the roll is, for me, a massive miss. Fried clams very good and a big portion.
9. Standard Baking Company: Still sets the standard for baked goods in Portland. Everything fougasse is killer.
10. Holy Donut: our visit was late in the day, so the donuts were not at their freshest, but still...meh.
11. Coffee By Design: Iced and hot coffee, both very good.
12. Two Fat Cats: Got three whoopie pies to bring home to the family in VA. They loved them.
13. Miccuci's: The Slab is now called the Sicilian Slice, but still is great.