Home Cooking 34

A Question for Asian Cooks

Caroline1 | Feb 14, 200807:47 AM

I'm asking if there is a name for somthing I do with rice noodles. I use the wide noodles, but sometimes threads, and deep fry them. If no one has ever done this, it's FASCINATING! It's like popping corm. The noodles expand in a flash and fill with tiny air bubbles and become light and crisp and flaky. Wonderful as a snack. But I love using them as a base for other sauced Asian dishes. The way that those canned fried "chop suey noodles" used to be used under chop suey years ago. The fried rice noodles do turn back to soft noodles when in contact with the sauce, but I like the texture, and some of them do stay crispy. They also make a nice "drop in" addition for soups.

Is this a traditional technique I just haven't run across, and if it is, is there a name for it? I've never seen it in restaurants, but they do sometimes serve yucky hard stuff like fried stale won ton wrappers. Maybe I go to the worng restuarants?


Want to stay up to date with this post? Sign Up Now ›
Log In or Sign Up to comment

Recommended From CH