I had a Halloween party last week, and stayed up late the night before making dolmades. It was my first attempt, so it took several hours preparing the rice mixture, boiling and drying the grape leaves, and rolling and stuffing the dolmades. Around 5 AM, I put them in the fridge and planned to finish them off in the oven the following day.
Following my recipe, I put the thick, heavy Pyrex baking dish on the stovetop, after adding two cups of water and plenty of lemon juice and EVOO to the stacked dolmades. After the water started to boil, I removed it from the stovetop and put it in my preheated oven. Within five minutes, the Pyrex EXPLODED, ruining my beautiful dolmades with a shower of broken glass. I had to throw them all out, and it took forever to clean up the oil-covered glass shards and rice from inside the oven.
How the hell did this happen? I thought Pyrex could stand up to stovetops and ovens, and I've cooked lasagna and cakes in it before. I bought it at Publix supermarket for about $15 or $20 some years back, and it was pretty heavy and seemed quite thick. I was so looking forward to those dolmades, but the hassle of making them followed by the intense disappointment of losing them all was so bad that I'll probably never make them again.
by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial...