parchment silicon coating comes off on food?


Live your best food life.

Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts.
Sign Up For Free
Cookware 10

parchment silicon coating comes off on food?

fuzzhead | Aug 14, 2011 03:53 PM

Hi, I just finished reading through all that was said back and forth about USING wax paper and (silicon/quilong(?)) parchment paper. It was touched on, but not really addressed, and maybe the vast majority of the baking world isn't so sensitive:

Wax paper is coated with wax a petroleum product. That was the statement. That little isn't going to bother anybody. And that is my problem. Things USED TO NOT BOTHER ME. Now, E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G bothers me. I have problems with soy, petroleum, pesticides, point: It is a know fact that low level exposure to "toxins" or "allergens" is slowly raising your sensitivity. That is where I am now, and until I was suddenly there, I never registered it. Kind of like many seafood allergies, people were happily going about their business enjoying, and then overnight "poof", and now they can never have it again or risk death! I have to look for Organic Everything! It's such a pain. I didn't think that silicon was a factor until I helped straighten out the teflon tape one night, and the next day I was peeling the skin off all my fingertips. REALLY. And you are thinking....wait, she said silicon and then she is talking about teflon. I mean Silicon SEEMS stable, but I overcooked without popping a batch of organic popping corn, and now the silicon 'stirrer'(sp?) I was using has a smell inbedded in it. If it can imbed the smell of the burning - no damage to the silicon whatsoever that I can see; it was good to 500 degrees F - that is a porous surface. If it is porous, then something can just as well come out as get in. Am I wrong??

Parchment paper, how can it compost or biodegrade with that coating? Or, did it just cook off in micro levels onto the bottom of your food?? Or kind of worse really, burn off into the oven as fumes that as barely perceptible, and then you breath it in? I do have reactions to a LOT of things that I can't smell consciously, so I AM concerned.

If someone could shed some light, I would REALLY appreciate it.

The pan was a le creuset if it matters, with that enameled baked on coating.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound