I rarely go to this area and found a couple of interesting places. I think Melanie probably already went to one of them.
The first is Shanghai Gourmet
Tried 5 dishes today.
* Melange of 8 ingredients: nice twist of the kung pao, sauce is deliciously sweet but not overpowering.
* Roasted spareribs with green onions: excellent. Tender spareribs with sweet sauce. The uniqueness is in the green onion which is sauteed almost to the point of being burnt black.
* Chicken marinated in some sort of dark chinese herbal medicine. Can't stand the smell.
* Shanghai style smoked fish: it's ok, won't try it again though-bony.
* Ham & winter melon soup: Ok but not too impressed-a bit salty.
The second is called DAIMO, a big restaurant. Picked up the menu and there seems to have many interesting dishes and lots of different congees. I don't recognize some of the categories: tossed noodle(soup on side) & congee tureen. Got to try this place soon.