Fiance and I needed a break so we thought it might be nice to take a quickie spa trip to Vegas. stayed at theHotel since I loved it last year (total service nightmare. never again). we mainly did spa treatments, but booked a few big meals. it's been a few weeks, but wanted to give back to the board!
> FLEUR DE LYS: good enough for first night in town
- booked a private banquette. lovely. but the curtains don't drown noisy talkers next door.
- service was funny, all over it sometimes but forgetful other times. fiance had to pour his own wine a once and twice our food was left just outside our banquette while 1 waiter waited for the other to come over.
- overall food was heavy on spice and sauces, but good for vegas. amuse bouche was a lovely salmon tartare type. I had a special appetizer of foie gras dumplings with some sort of mushroom filling and mushroom sauce. it was good, but not worth $20. Fiance had something shellfishy which he loved. He had lamb for an entree, but preferred my beef dish. I had had the same exact dish at Nice Matin in new york the night before and much preferred it there (yes, even Nice matin blows away Vegas top restaurants. but i digress). Dessert was the best. We shared a pina colada deconstructed (i forget the name) -- coconut ice cream with roasted pineapple and other stuff. yum!
> MANDALAY BUFFET: Boring, boring but filling
> IN N OUT: Nothing beats double double animal style.
> OKADA: Completely disappointing and overpriced.
- Gorgeous waterfalls in Wynn, but only a few good tables with prime views. Didn't check out special rooms. Reminded me of seating at River Cafe.
- Service was young and overwhelming enthusiastic about _every_ dish and about the freshness of the sushi.
- Outstandly TERRIBLE music -- mix of top 40 boyband wonders. backstreet boys never piques my appetite.
- We went a little crazy with ordering 2 appetizers, 15 pieces sushi, and every robata item. some winners, but mainly losers. we've even had better sushi from yama -- tough stringy and the rice was undercooked in parts. gross. the appetizers including foie gras were overly mayonnaisy and sweet. another gross waste of $30. finally, the robata items were ok. the rice ball and bacon wrapped asparagus were the winners. the other dishes were ok. this was an expensive experiment. thank god we went to nobu in ny last week to make up for this japanese disappointment!
> RM: amazing dark horse lunch. bummed the ny location is closed!
- decor is gorgeous. waterfall, blond wood, open kitchen. upstairs formal dining is even better. too bad it's locted in teh mandalay bay mall so it's totally empty.
- modern, great music mix. some popular lounge house, some european stuff that we've never heard anywhere else.
- great service. manager even offered us a tour of the whole restaurant and provided details about decor, architect, etc.
- The best tuna nicoise salad that I've ever had (short of the one i make at home). Amazing clam chowder. perfect iced tea. po boy was ok. oysters were fresh, but boring. shrimp cocktail was again, fresh but boring.
> COMMANDER'S PALACE: our surprise favorite meal!!
must run and finish work. but suffice to say we ordered the classics and it was worth it. he loved his steak. i loved my beef dish. and we both adored the special chorizo and foie gras (even though we were foie gras-ed out by that point in the weekend). bananas foster was a perfect ending. service was perfect. this is the only place we'd visit again!