Hey everyone, we just moved to Mountain View from New York and are looking for new favorites both nearby and far away (very willing to travel). We love cooking and eating just about anything and would love your help to find any of the following:
1) Markets! -- We've found Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but are there smaller markets anyone recommends for either ethnic ingredients or quality meat/produce? What about:
1d) Farmers Markets?
2) Weekend brunch spots -- Willing to travel, but would love local recs too. I want everything from your typical American spot, to ethnic (bonus points if it's Latin American), to dim sum, to fancy-shamncy-only-on-special-occasions brunch!
3) Coffee, both individual drinks and coffee by the pound. I love strong black coffee and am excited to try all of the Bay Area's small, local roasters.
4) Wine Shops -- we stumbled upon K&L Wine Merchants in Redwood City, which is pretty great. Any other recs?
5) California food -- not sure what I mean by this exactly, but I guess I mean all the stuff you think is unique to the area. What are the staples I'm missing? What is the place or thing I'll try and never be able to live without again?
6) New York food -- Pizza? Bagels? Pickles? Pastrami? Does it exist out here? Is it any good? I've gone a couple of weeks, but can I really go the next few years? Help!
7) Fast food/Take out -- Extra points for food trucks and great burger joints.
8) Indian -- we've had some amazing Indian food so far in Sunnyvale, and these have just been random walk-ins. If this is average, what's the best?
9) Vietnamese -- we've seen tons of Pho places around, and recently drove around a neighborhood in San Jose with tons of Vietnamese restos. Any standouts?
10) And finally, your favorite restos of the area. Price is no option, but we want variety -- expensive, medium, cheap, and dirt cheap. No taco is too small, no umpteen course tasting menu too grand.
Thank you for recs!