I want to thank all the contributors on this board for providing so much information on the region. After plowing through most of the recent posts (took a few days) I finally have my trip laid out. Thank you!
I will be traveling with my parents (in their 60s) and my sister for this trip. We rented a car and a house in Avignon (outside the city center unfortunately but the house looked so awesome!). I know the location is not the most ideal but well, this is kind of a last min trip and the choices are limited at this point. We are interested in food (I have been a chowhounder for years!) and my sister and I love wine but my parents are not big drinkers. We want to visit 1 or 2 Provence market and maybe cook a few meals at the house. I enjoy Michelin starred restaurants but preferably for lunch so I have time to digest all day. I think we can have 1 or 2 very fancy meals throughout this trip.
We will be traveling from July 31 to August 8. Here's what I have so far:
July 31 (Sun) - Arrive at Avignon around 11am
Need some help here. I feel like a lot of the restaurants are closed on Sunday.
Lunch - Probably go check out Les Halles, and have lunch around there, any ideas? Maybe Le 5 Sens?
Dinner - Can't really find a good place, I'd like to find something with a "Wow, I'm in Provence" vibe (maybe outdoor courtyard?). Any suggestion in or near Avignon? Will August be too hot to sit outside?
Aug 1 (Mon) - Collias, Pont du Gard, Uzes
Thinking of kayaking from Collias to Pont du Gard then lunch at Uzes.
Lunch - La Tracteur, lots of places are closed on Mon, better ideas for the surrounding areas?
Dinner - Open
Aug 2 (Tues) - Visit the Vaison-la-Romain market. Wine Tasting around the area. Any suggestions for wineries (ideally with spectacular views) there? My parents are not big drinkers but my sister and I love wine! Probably want to see 2-3 wineries just for the experience.
Lunch - Bistro d'uo @ Vaison-la-Romaine, any better suggestions?
Dinner - l'essentiel @ Avignon (Recommended by airbnb host)
Aug 3 (Wed) - Luberon Villages: Loumarine, Bonnieux, Goult
Probably most ambitious itinerary today. Want to see some Luberon Villages, and just picked these 3 towns for great restaurants and some shopping.
Lunch - Maybe picnic lunch from Maison Gouin OR Le Petite Maison OR La Bastide de Capelongue.
Dinner - La Bartavelle @ Goult. I read so many good reviews on this restaurant here, and really want to go. I know the hour drive back after dinner is going to suck though.
Aug 4 (Thurs) - L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Lunch - Grab something from the market? Any recs there or near the town?
Dinner - Open
Aug 5 (Fri) - St Remy, drop by Carrieres de Lumieres
Lunch - Open
Dinner - Mas du Capoun
Aug 6 (Sat) - Nice
Lunch - Chez Pipo
Dinner - Le Comptoir du Marche
Aug 7 (Sun) - Nice, or maybe day trip to Menton or Ez or Monaco? Can't decide on this one.
Lunch - cook some Maison Barale Ravioli at home OR Le Safari OR Franchin?
Dinner - Looking for a nice restaurant with waterfront view for the final dinner. Any suggestions?
A few questions:
1. Christian Etienne or La Bastide de Capelongue?
2. My day trip itinerary is not set in stone, although I did try to coordinate it with market days and restaurants closing days. If there's a better order to see this area please let me know!
3. Not completely sure about the plan to go to Vaison-la-Romain area for wine tasting. Maybe I will let this day go and chill around the house or add another day for Luberon villages. I am afraid I am packing in too much into my itinerary everyday. Although we do want 1-2 wine tasting experience at a winery.
4. I gave up Aix-en-Provence because I just can't seem to fit it in. Should I go to Aix and forego one of the above day trips?
5. Will Arles be a better choice than Uzes?
6. How are my restaurant choices so far? Do I need to make reservations at all of the restaurants above?
So much to do! So little time! Thanks in advance, I look forward to your comments!