Season's Market - a take-out/delivery/catering place that opened on Allen and Rivington - keeps getting better and better. Great homey comfort food - with the delicious a chowhound needs to make it a regular stand-by (or "addition to menu folder")
Dish that opened across the street recently has been very disappointing and seems to be getting worse (and they've raised their prices already).
At Season's Market you get a meat/fish and 2 sides for $8.50 or 3 sides for $7.50.
At Dish meat/fish and 2 sides for $14.50 and 3 sides for $12.00
(Both places basically reheat food cooked earlier. Dish has tables, but service is very slow. Both places have very nice staff :-)
Last night's order from Season's Market was EXCELLENT:
- Excellent Mac and Cheese - been very disappointed in last 3 places I've tried (including Dish which is like a bowl of slop, too much cheese, poured on as sauce instead of baked in, over cooked mac) - Season's Market "gets it" - tasty, good cheesy-ness , toasted bread crump topping, browned edges, firm-ish mac.
- They have a new couscous with chick peas, sun dried tomatoes, touch of tartness and lovely morracn seasoning - very good!
- All their veggies are always super fresh and cooked to the perfect crispiness (Dish's veggies are limp, grey, over cooked, or oily) - last nights snow peas with shallots and sesame seeds were terrific - perfectly done - as were the asparagus spears, and green beans with almonds
- Very tasty Meatloaf with firm quality (Dish's has a mealy/undercooked ground beef consistency)
- And Fantastic Chocolate Cream Pie - chocolate cookie crumb crust, thick layer of homemade, intense chocolate pudding, and fresh whip cream top!
Season's Market also has great chipolte chili, salads, soups and lots of other meats, sides and desserts at very low prices and ready to-go with you in a couple minutes flat! (count on a long wait for to-go at Dish)
On occasion, I've had a couple good dishes at Dish - and my list of avoid dishes is 4 times the length. the ones that were good on one visit, were bad the next. For example green with roasted garlic - great one time - dripping in oil with zero garlic the next).