There is a new food trailer behind Star Bar at W. 6th and Nueces called Hat Creek Burger Co. I found myself at Star Bar liberally sampling gin and tonics post UT v. Mizzou and in need of late night nourishment. I was considering ordering a pizza across the street when I walked out to the back porch area and noticed a spiffy new food trailer advertising hamburgers and fries. I was drunk, so my memory goes in snap shot mode:
1) Absolute flabbergastament as I saw an actual potato go through a manual powered mechanical device that sliced it into french fry shaped things that went directly into the fryer.
2) Ordering a cheesburger (I had cheese options, but I don't recall them) all the way and fries while sipping my libation. (I was immediately disabused of this privilege when one of the employees of the Star Bar saw me. This is against the rules)
3) Receiving my cheeseburger and fries in a reasonable time period, I watched my patty being hand formed and cooking on the griddle. I enjoyed this seduction.
4) Biting into my cheeseburger and learning that 'all the way' means something at the Hat Creek Burger Co. All the way includes jalapeños. This made me unreasonably happy. Very aggressive.
5) My second thought about the burger was that the patty was well seasoned. I like this. I think it is a mistake not to season ground meat.
6) The fries were freshly fried and seasoned potatoes. It is amazing that this is awesome and exceptional. They are long and thinnish. I would not call them shoe string, nor would I refer to them as thick cut. They struck a nice balance between crunchy fried exterior and potatoey interior.
I have no recollection of cost, but I remember thinking it was eminently reasonable. At my state of intoxication and hunger at the time, that might have meant I ate a $100 cheeseburger, but it is more likely that a single patty cheeseburger and french fries came in around $6.
My only complaint was that they closed around midnight when they are literall 4 ft from a crowded bar of frat guys and ex frat guys. This seems to be a land war in Asia level mistake, and it saddened me greatly because I was planning on hitting it again about 2:30. I hope they figure that part out.