It's not hard to find the first two but why haven't I found a coffee shop that is not obnoxious, One where:
1. The person next to me doesn't whip out their cell phone and talk for thirty minutes.
2. There s no blaring music or at least the blaring music is interesting
3. Cigarette smoke doesn't not waft in
I'm from Portland, Oregon where hanging out at coffee shops is de rigueur and people know how to behave themselves and the atmosphere is conducive to writing, reading, staring.
Places that could have been good but are not:
1. Intelligentsia is cramped, grimey, loud and not user friendly--it needs to be five times bigger
2. Aroma Cafe on Tujunga has a nice garden patio and should ban cellphones and learn how to make coffee
Please do not recommend Rocky Roaster. The coffee is bad.