Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh of Sweet: Desserts from London's Ottolenghi | Ask Your Questions Now ›

General Discussion

fire in the microwave!


General Discussion 12

fire in the microwave!

sabine | Oct 28, 2004 10:21 PM

please help me solve this kitchen mystery.
Tonight I put about 1.5 tbls of diced raw red pepper in a clean tuppperware container, sprinkled some water on it and stuck it in the micronda to blanch for 45sec-1.00min. I didn't cover it. I stuck my head in the pantry to check them out thru the microwave door, and lo and behold, it was sparking and finally burst into flame! Really! After my emotions overwhelmed my logic that red pepper can't burst into flame, I turned it off. About 15min later, I tried again, with haricots vertes in a different container, then warmed up a pumkin puree in the microwave. No problem. I've cooked red pepper before in the micro and never had this result. Is there something volatile in the skin/vegetable itself? What's going on?

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound