Snooping around the market today I found a few things:
1. Shamrock donuts at Bob's. LIke the kitties, but in this funked up clover shape. The frosting is vanilla flavored and the raised donut beneath is as good and yeasty as you remembered.
2. T & Y (Tbilisi and Yerevan), new Russian bakery next to Puritan Poultry stall. Carry the dark brown loaves of rye bread spiked with an intense dose of coriander, long meat-filled piroshkis, eggy breads, and some French-inspired pastries and cakes. Didn't buy anything. Feedback anyone?
3. Puritan Poultry stall now carries MBA Smart chicken. I usually buy this at VIcente Foods and it's an extremely tasty alternative to Foster farms and grocery store chix: air-chilled, hormone and antibiotic free chicken in the European style. Why should I bother/does it taste better? Heck yes. Also, I saw rabbit for sale here...or else it was the other stand, Farmer's Mkt Poultry. One of the two for sure.
4. Gumbo Pot is now serving NOLA style eggy breakfasts like Eggs Sardou and poached eggs with andouille sausage, and grits ($4?!!!) Feedback?
5. DuPar's is a long way to opening. The interior is ripped up dirt and pipes. Hasn't changed in months.