General Discussion

English terminology for baking goods?


Live your best food life.

Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts.
Sign Up For Free
General Discussion 30

English terminology for baking goods?

ideabaker | Jul 27, 2008 03:29 PM

Hi all, I've been researching the site for the difference between various names of sugars and flours from America to England or Ireland. I've bought a flour called "Maize Flour" in a big bag (1kg) and have been told it is what Americans call "corn starch" which is a thickener for sauces. But the bag is really big, the color is yellowish (our corn starch is white) and I just can't imagine that this is what we use as corn starch because it would take a loooong time to use up. BTW it says (Cornflour) under where it says "Maize Flour" if that helps.

I went on YouTube and typed in "Cornflour" and all I got were science experiments for kids using this stuff. I was kind of hoping since it is in the baking section that it can be used for cooking something more substantial than children's clay. Any ideas what to do with this? Am I mixing up the terminologies?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound