At lunchtime, I often walk from my dowtown office to Chinatown or the North end for culinary delights. When I am less ambitious, I am restricted to the downtown area itself. It's a little bleak. Some of my favorites spots are:
1. Sultan's Kitchen -- reliably delicious pita sandwiches of grilled kebabs of lamb or chicken. Also, lots of interesting Turkish vegetarian salads/enrees.
2. Sam LaGrassa's -- great pastrami on rye.
3. Cosi -- despite the "pre-made" taste of some of the ingredients, solid sandwiches on great freshly made flat bread.
4. NY Soup Exchange -- decent soup.
5. Sushi time - reliable, if not inventive, sushi.
6. Margo Bistro -- sit-down bistro that can be hit-or-miss but more often hits than misses.
I have tried, but am not thrilled by:
1. Vici -- mediocre chicken parm
2. Real Taco -- good effort, but lacking the flavor of some of the Somverville faves (Lupita, etc.)
3. Chacaracero -- Chilean sandwiches. Chicken or beef. I had the chicken (VERY bland) but I am told I should have had the beef.
4. That deli on Devonshire with the roast turkey. So-so.