The menu looked good so we ordered five dishes. The pricing being gentle (how can they afford it?) helped us to over order.
1. Thai Style Fried Marinated Beef - a heaping plate of tender beef that's full of flavor. Not something that I've actually recall having before.
2. Ground Duck & Duck Liver Laab (shallots, toasted rice powder, ground chilies, saw leaf herb, kaffir lime, cilantro). Unlike the first dish, I eat laab all the time at Bangkok Golden and know that the dish at Doi Moi was lacking in flavor - needed more kaffir lime as well as chilies. What you mostly taste is the iron richness of the liver. Not a balanced dish.
3. Crispy Rice with Sour Sausage. Another dish that I eat at BG regularly. This version is very good, much more assertive in flavor than the laab. The verion at BG is made with ham, as appears to be the case at Doi Moi notwithstanding the menu said it comes with sour sausage.
4. Lamb Shank in Red Curry. Nicely cooked lamb but not a lot of flavor. The curry's predominant flavor is actually sweetness, which I don't like.
5. Crispy Whole Fish. Nice moist fish (although there's a hint of fishiness).
Pretty restaurant but not worth schlepping in from the VA burbs for.