Went to Crystal for lunch this week. Then someone heard about it and wanted to go again with us. So twice in one week. Here are some impressions.
1. It is not a dim sum restaurant, but a restaurant with some dim sum dishes.
2. It has a mixture of different regional Chinese cuisines, including dim sum, XLB, Peking duck, water cooked beef, dan dan noodles.
3. Some good dishes that we've tried are the steamed scallop and shrimp dumplings, Char Sui So (pastry), dan dan noodle, fried rice. But nothing really outstanding.
4. The wait staff is enthusiatic, but highly inexperienced. There is very little knowledge base for Chinese cuisine. Our waiter missed one of our orders.
5. Some good dishes as I said, but nothing wowed us.
I tried hard not to think in terms of price points. But at this level I expect outstanding, not just good. CJ is just mostly good, nothing outstanding.
I don't know how the business is doing. On a Saturday afternoon we walked in and secured a table no problem. The place was never close to full. I hope they are doing better at dinner.