I noted a post awhile back about Tang's Donuts, where the posters called it Crackhead Donuts, on account of the people inside at night-time.
Let me say: 1. frequently, that includes me, and I'm not actually a crackhead.
2. I have been there many times late at night and never once been accosted or seen anybody accosted.
3. It is THE PREMIERE PLACE in L.A. for, at 2 AM on a Friday or Saturday night, stopping off after the clubs and bars have closed for a game of blitz chess.
4. It is a marvel of unity, with people from disparate nations and cultures, many of whom can't even speak the same language, getting together and playing chess.
5. The people who play go there, however, suck.
6. The doughnuts are decidedly Not Bad - not great, or even particularly good, but, at 2 AM, one's choices are decidedly limited.
7. It is perhaps slightly better than the 24 hr doughnut shop on 3rd east of Western, and slightly less good than the late night doughnut shop next to Ruen Pair in Thai Town. (This latter doughnut shop is an excellent place to hang out at 3 AM, especially after a nice Ruen Pair meal, as sobriety approaches - not only for the nearby bizarro nuts-and-bolts art gallery, but as a fine place to watch prostitutes come and go.)
8. Where are, incidentally, people's favorite 24 hour doughnut shops? Because sometimes, I just need a doughnut at 3 AM.
9. I hear tell of mysterious wonders, including doughnut shops that fry their doughnuts fresh in the middle of the night - perhaps Krispy Kremes? Where are these?
That is all.