Ten chowhounds gathered today at the Grand Hot Pot Lounge, 3565 Geary, SF to sample their Sichuan fare.
We had the following appetizers:
1. Pancake with Beef, a kind of beef filled baked pastry;
2. Couple's Delight, thinly sliced beef and a squash or melon with chile and Sichuan pepper;
3. Bean Jello in Red Chili sauce, home made bean jello;
4. Shaved Strips of Bitter Melon with a honey sauce;
6. Tofu Skin salad, rehydrated dried tofu skins with small batards of celery;
7. Spicy Numbing Pig's Ear, thinly cut pig's ear in a red chili sauce;
1. Chong Qing Chicken w/ Explosive Peppers;
2. Live Cat Fish boiled - like the 1,000 chili fish but with skin on cat fish chunks;
3. Dried Fried Tree Mushrooms, a mix of enoki and another, more dense mushroom whose name I forget, cooked with a little chile and Sichuan Pepper;
4. Hot & Sour Shredded Potato, a sour version of the shredded, nearly crisp potato of this cuisine;
5. Garlic Noodles (this was a dish stemming from the waitress mishearing 'dan dan noodles' as 'garlic noodles', not bad but not;
6. Dan Dan Noodles;
7. Minced pork sautéed with pickled long beans
8. Snow Pea leaves in broth;
9. Guiling Rice Noodles
by Jen Wheeler | Holiday baking season means lots of cookies, and we have plenty of great Christmas cookie recipes...
by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial...
by Mijon Zulu | Want some crack? I mean, crackle? People who have had it love it and it takes less than an hour to...
by Caitlin M. O'Shaughnessy | Since August 4 is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, we rounded up the very best chocolate chip cookie...