Hello All... tremendous board here. I'm visiting Queens next week and need restaurant selection help. Prefer NOT jacket & tie OR "greasy counter" type places... but nice places to take a date WITH FOCUS ON THE FOOD FIRST and atmosphere / service second. From rummaging through your boards and some travel books here's where I'm at:
1) FRENCH: Either Tournesol in LIC, St. Marks Bistro in Brooklyn, or Bacchus in Brooklyn... which would you choose ??
2) BRAZILIAN / ARGENTINIAN: Malagueta, Green Field, or La Portena ??
3) MIDDLE EASTERN: Kebab Cafe in Astoria or Hemsin LIC ??
4) GREEK: Taverna Kyclades sounds like great food but zilch atmosphere. So I'm considering S'Agapo, Elias Corner, Tellys, or Karyatis... definitely need GREAT grilled calamari...where would you choose ??
5) DESSERT ONLY in Manhattan... prefer Chelsea / SOHO / or Village location as will be going to
jazz club(s) later...any nice bistros or patisseries that have KNOCKOUT DESSERTS late nite. I was reading about Balthazar, Payard Patisserie sounds great but it's UESide...any other suggestions ??
6) JAZZ CLUBS MANHATTAN: Zinc Bar, Smalls, Jazz Standard... any preferences ?? Mentioning Zinc because I hear it may have "brazilian" jazz.
Please advise as to your choices from above, or feel free to recommend an alternative. Thanks so much, Mike.