My husband and I are going to be visiting family in New Jersey in a couple weeks and decided to try for a reservation at Babbo. We lucked into a 10:30 Saturday night reservation for four, but the couple who was going to join us can't make it and we can't find a replacement. When my husband was making the reservation he had inquired about a spot for two to see if that would get us a better time and was told the only open time for two was 11:30. Now we're afraid that if we call back to change the number in our party we'll either lose our reservation or be given a much later spot, which we don't really want.
Does anyone have any experience changing your reservation at Babbo or another busy restaurant to a smaller number? Should we just wait until we call to confirm to tell them the change?