General Discussion

Meat Pies

Buchery Question, Name of meat piece


Live your best food life.

Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts.
Sign Up For Free
General Discussion 5

Buchery Question, Name of meat piece

Collie Man | Feb 25, 2008 03:20 AM

Hello. As a chef for over 15 years, I do alot of buchery, and have done alot over the years. Being a cook not a bucher, I primarily "feel" my way through the meat, using my experiance with meat scructure as a guide, and thus alot of the meat I find I canot Identify, although I use it {and name it what ever I want}.
Anyway, one piece I routenly order is beef {somtimes veal or bison} top but, and after cleaning, along with the primary mussle there is a smaller, almost triangular cut, simmilar to flank, both in aperance and cooking method/tenderness. I routenly refer to this as bavet on the menu, even though I know true bavet is skirt and from a totaly diffrent place on the cow. Latley I have been asking a few cooking comrades if they know the name, and have gotten so many diffrent answers I cant belive any of them {one chef I know insistis it's called chuck} so I figgured "Time to ask the net"
Is there anyone out there who can name this unknown, yet decicious, piece of steak?

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound