A few years ago I took a course from Boston University' Metropolitan College that was taught by Ihsan Gurdal of Formaggio Kitchen and was a great introduction to cheese and champagne. We ate well and learned a lot. I got on the mailing list and just received the winter/spring courses. There's some great looking stuff here.
The courses range from one night courses to indepth multi-session certificate classes. The prices range accordingly. Here are a few courses that look particularly interesting to me:
- Breadmaking the ClearFlour way (taught by the bakers/owners of ClearFlour in Brookline)- $200
-Gordon Hammersley demonstrating a bistro menu (including wine)- $60
- Germany's Ultimate Terroir Wines, including a seminar panel of elite winemakers and a tasting of top German estate Bottlings- $65
- Pairing Wines and Desserts: A Tasting with Master of Wine Sandy Black and Finale Dessert Chef Nicole Coady- $50
- Food Writing Seminar conducted by Gourmet's John Willoughby- $350
- Let's Celebrate Rice! with Stan Frankenthaler- $50
- A Hands on Baking Class with Joanne Chung of Flour Bakery in the South End- $150
- Sephardic Cuisine with Claudia Roden- $25
- A walking tour of Chinatown with Bik Ng- $70
and my personal favorite if I had $700 to spare and the time to become a certified cheese expert:
Cheese Certificate with Ihsan Gurdal: Bostons star cheese expert and owner of Formaggio Kitchen, Ihsan Gurdal, is offering a most unusual course to those of you who want to become proficient in your understanding of cheese. Cheeses of the world will be studied from the beginnings on the farm to the finished products at the table. Throughout the series, regional wines and condiments will be paired to the regional cheeses. Those who pass the final paper will become certified from Boston University as knowledgeable in the study of cheese. The final class will be a tour of cheese farms.
As I found out a few years ago, these courses make great Valentine's Day gifts.
(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this program or with Boston University - I just thought you'd all be interested in these neat classes.)
Updated 2 years ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 15
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 1