All right, I've kind of got a beef (and I'm a vegetarian!) with the VT coverage on this board. It seems like almost all the talk concerns tourists and passers-through, and therefore foucses primarily on rural eateries accessible to those travelling the leaf-peeper routes. It's not that I have a problem with that, but there's more to Vermont than upscale-rustic inns and roadside diners! I'm a outside-of-Burlington native currently at school in Oregon. I'm coming back to Vermont in a month for winter break and I'm planning out the places I want to hit for chow. I'll definitely visit my old-faithfuls (Stone Soup, EGF in Vergennes, Red Onion, Srumptious, Junior's), but I'd like input on anything new or interesting or not-to-be-missed. Some topics for discussion:
1. Indian food in Burlington. India House or Shalimar? Which is better? I've never been to the latter, but their Sunday buffet has been calling to me for a long time. Also, is it true that India House is under new ownership as of sometime last year? Someone told me it has improved notably.
2. Loong Chaat's Kitchen, Glori Nori. Opinions? They both seem.
3. Smokejack's. Is it true that they serve root beer floats with house-made rootbeer? Yum! I've also heard great things about their cheese selection. Mmmm...
4. Pastry around the state. Someday, when I have lots of time and gas money, I'm going to tour the entire state in search of the best croissant. So, beyond Mirabelle's and Junior's, what else can people recommend for fancy desserts and pastries with a European flair? Is it true that Eidelweiss Bakery and Cafe (which used to be on Main St. in Winooski) has reopened in Johnson of Jeffersonville, or somewhere? P.S. good coffee is a bonus for these places!
5. What's the deal with Mrs. Murphy's donuts? Really good? Better than chain donuts? Are they made with a mix, or entirely from scratch?
Thanks, guys! Sorry to be so long-winded. Hope people will chime in!
Updated 1 year ago | 13
Updated 2 years ago | 4
Updated 26 days ago | 21
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 2 years ago | 1