My last meal at Brilliant, a couple of months ago, was delectable and extremely enjoyable.
Based on that, a number of foodie friends and relatives decided to pay them another visit. This time, with their ' supposedly best Peking Duck in town ' in our mind
In addition to there complimentary soup of the day ( pork shank with carrots, turnips and snow fungus ) and dessert ( double boiled papaya, almonds, red dates and snow fungus ), we ordered the following dishes:
1) - Peking duck two ways - Quality indeed was very high, with ultra crispy skin. Duck was surprisingly lean but still with plenty of meat. Pancake was excellent. The 'lettuce wrap' second course was 'brilliantly' executed with the end product totally greaseless and full of wok-hay. Just the right amount of sauce binded the diced veggie and duck together. Yummy!!!
2) - Pan seared Jumbo scallops with premium top soy. Wow! This must be the star of the evening! The exterior of the scallops were somehow cooked to be 'crispy' ( caramelization of sugar and soy? ) whilst the interior was moist, juicy and just perfect! In a way, reminds me of a similar dish I had at the Parisian Michelin 2*, Carre des Feuillants! Not bad!!
3) - Stirred fry filet of yellow fin Garoupa with yellowing chives. Again, great cooking technique was shown by the kitchen. Perfectly cooked fish with just the right amount of wok-hay aroma.
4) - Honey glazed jumbo oysters with minced garlic. A slight flop since too much honey were used rendering the morsels a bit too sweet. Also, I prefer the oysters to be a little bit crispy on the outside. IMO, the version at the 'Emperor' is much better.
5) - Steamed Dungeness crab with vintage ' Fa-Dew' rice wine, chicken fat on a bed of rice vermicelli. Crab was fresh and firm. Though pretty good, the version at Sam Woo Seafood a few years back was better. May be the Brilliant chef goes easy on the chicken fat due to health reason?! Ha!
6) - Fried pork chops with lemon grass, fish sauce and champagne. Most interesting aroma and taste. Very delicious. Something different than your ordinary run of the mill 'sweet and sour pork'! Ha!
Some of my friends chipped in on a fresh cream ' Cappucino and mango mousse cake' from Tokyo cake and pastry in Scarborough. Not too sweet, it paired great with the delicious and complex 'Gunderlock 2003 Riesling Spatlese'
The management gave us a 10% discount since a few of us know the manager in person. Overall bill comes to only $137!! excluding tax and tips. What a great deal for 6 people!!
Brilliant Chinese Restaurant
7220 Kennedy Rd, Markham, ON L3R0N4, CA
Updated 2 years ago | 1
Updated 2 years ago | 18
Updated 4 months ago | 0
Updated 11 months ago | 7
Updated 28 days ago | 254